Monday, February 14, 2011

The Hazards of Writing

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! But seriously, didn’t we *just* have last year’s like… a month ago? I can’t believe how quickly this year went for me. I don’t know if this happens to you guys, but whenever I’m writing, I feel like the days pass so much faster than normal.

January 2009, I started my WIP. After many, many edits and rewrites, I finished it about a month ago. And this is really the first time I’ve resurfaced since I started the thing. And I’m realizing that that rewrite I did a month ago was actually more like six months ago. And that first round of edits? More like nine. Apparently I’ve been swimming in a writerly fog.

I think the feeling comes from living in two worlds. It’s like in those fantasy novels when a character finds a hidden world and discovers that time passes differently there. What might be just a few seconds in fantasy world can be years in the real one, and vise versa. I feel like one of those characters. I’ve lived so completely and for so long in the world I created that coming out again feels… strange. Everything is a little less familiar. And I can’t for the life of me figure out where all those days went.

Does that happen to you guys? Does time lose you when you’re working on a project?

No comments:

Post a Comment